Repairs on a garage door can be both expensive and time consuming. In order to help avoid these situations, you will want to know these five simple maintenance tasks that can easily help you avoid many garage door repairs:
- Lubricate the Moving Parts: There are many moving parts of the garage door, such as the springs and rollers. All of these things should be regularly lubricated with special oil made specifically for garage doors you can purchase from your local hardware store. By doing this, you ensure that the moving parts can continue to move smoothly, which prevents intense wear and tear over time.
- Tighten Bolts: Over time, the tracks on the garage door can become loose. This causes the garage door to become shaky when opening and closing, which causes significant wear and tear and increases the amount of tension on the garage door. Be sure that you are regularly tighten the screws that hold the garage door track in place. This will ensure that the garage door can continue to open and shut as smoothly as possible, as well.
- Test Garage Door Balance: Over time, the springs of the garage door can become unbalanced. You should be testing this regularly (about every 6 months) to see whether or not the springs need to be adjusted. In order to do this, you will want to pull the release handle of the garage door while the garage door is shut and then manually open the garage door halfway. The garage door should stay in place. If it doesn't, then you need to call in professionals to adjust the balance of the springs to ensure that your garage door isn't working so hard to open and shut.
- Replace the Rollers: While lubricating the rollers of your garage door, you should be sure to double check if there is any significant wear. If so, you should replace these right away. This should be easy to do since they simply pop in and out of the track. You can purchase new rollers from your local hardware store. If your garage door continues to rely on extremely worn rollers, it can cause damage to the track itself, which can be expensive to have replaced.
- Clean the Tracks: Before lubricating the tracks of the garage door, check to be sure that they are clean and free from debris. Adding lubricant to dirty tracks can cause the debris and dirt to stick and cause even more damage to the rollers and the track itself. Wipe these clean with a damp cloth and then apply lubricant.
By doing these five things for your garage door, you can be sure that your garage door lasts a long period of time before needing significant repairs. Once it does need repairs though, you must call professionals since garage doors have a high amount of tension and can be difficult to hold up on your own, especially when it comes to replacing or repairing the garage door springs.